adopt your own virtual pet!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Life alone

Is amazing. I LOVE living on my own and don't know why I didn't do it in the first place. I moved a block away from my old apartment, leaving behind a roommate and fond memories, but it was time to move on and I'm glad I did. So now it's just me, my cat and a couple of cockroaches (which are so damn hard to squish). Life is good. Really good. I hate saying that because this huge feeling of self consciousness comes over me, and I realize things are not so good, and I'm just pushing the bad things away. Ok, pushing... pushing... gone! Bellydancing is AMAZING! It's so much fun! I learned how to make shapes with my boobs, but I don't think that will come in handy for anything practical. I really needed something like this to commit to because outside of work, I need to have a structure of some kind where I know exactly what I'm doing, or else I feel out of control with my life. And the shelter kitchen is closing soon now that winter is over, so my volunteer work is almost done. Which brings me to my next point. I really like volunteering there, I like our guests who eat dinner there, and I like the organizers. But I have a list for the volunteers who make things difficult to get work done. This list is in no particular order, but all are equally annoying:

-If you decide to volunteer, please do not show up in dress clothes. You're not here to hand out muffins with a shiny happy face, you're here to serve, scrub, sweat, mop, wash and help- with a shiny happy face.
-Please do not show up dressed as mentioned above, realize how much work it really is, and then not show up the next week even though you swore you would. It gives us false hope that we will have more help.
-Please (and this is for all the girls from Leaside and other rich cunt areas) do not show up and expect a medal for washing one dish, playing with the aprons, trying to perform an Ashley Simpson dance routine with your slutty friend, and talking about your "amazing" sex life, even though you're only 17 and really have no clue. You're not impressing anyone, just pissing me off. And then you have the nerve to ask why I hate you.
-Please do not comment on the condition of our food or how it relates to what you learned in science class. I don't care if the properties in butter are depleted when it's microwaved, it's for popcorn. For street kids. I really don't think they will miss the properties.
-Please do not expect anyone to treat you like a martyr because you served more plates than someone else, or cleaned up an extra pile of vomit. When you boast and whine and complain when things don't go your way, it really takes away from the volunteer part and makes me think that you are here for more selfish reasons than helping.
-Please do not comment when you see our guests doing things you think are "gross and yucky". I bet you pick your nose too, just not in public. Same goes for those who give them pitiful, sympathetic looks and coo to yourselves. They're not abused kittens, they are people, and you're here to help them; looking at them is not a form of help.
-Please eat dinner with our guests, and not in the obviously seperate room where only staff are allowed. Part of the whole experience is to treat them like human beings in a society that doesn't, and you're not helping by running away when someone makes eye contact with you.
-Please don't grab a plate of food before all of our guests are served. We do run out, and the difference is that you can go home to a fridge of food, our guests can't.

I think that's it, but I'm sure there's much more. I just had to vent because I keep this to myself when I'm there. (Except with the 17 year old brats, I tell them when they piss me off)

More later, I'm having birthday dinner (Randy's) at my parents house tonight and seeing my bro back from his trip. But I will leave you with this... from Ola..

Why you should never publish your pic on the internet...

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Kate From England said...

Some nice thoughts here lady...and living on your own...oh how I miss it so!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Meet your meat. Don't support factory farms, where meat is mass produced and sold to restaurants and grocery stores. Buy independantly, buy cruelty free, go vegetarian.